New Star Atlas Land Ownership Details Breakdown

In the latest post from the Star Atlas team “Star Atlas In-Game Play: Adventures as a Landowner” we learn a few new details about land ownership.

Unfortunately this does not cover everything we would like to know at this point. They shine a lantern on that fact in the first two bullet points. Let’s take a look at what they said:

“Each planet is divided into land parcels, and each parcel is represented as an on-chain NFT, which records the specifics of each parcel (size, borders, location, current ownership, and much more).”

This immediately raises a few basic questions. Do all planets contain the same number of parcels? Is a parcel the only size land comes in? How many structures can be built on one parcel of land?

“All buildings are built on something, whether it’s a space station or a stable upper crust of a planet/ asteroid. Owning land itself opens the player up to the possibilities of mining and farming, for example, and to defend the territory. There are many technical aspects about land, but here are some of the main highlights:”

Will space station owners own all the land for that station initially? Are they forced to sell any of it or can they keep it all for themselves? If the asteroid I decided to mine flies into a star are there any bailouts I can apply for from the local government?

“Land is owned and it can also be lost;”

What they are telling us here is simple enough. I can own land. Until I get owned in battle. Then someone new owns that land.

“Star Atlas utilizes innovative Land Value Tax (LVT) to prevent “flipping” as well as to incentivize users to make use of their land parcels;”

Everyone loves taxes and any land you own you must pay LVT on. So don’t lose your land or you will not have to pay taxes anymore. That almost sounds good. Damn taxes.

“Players can sell land, buy land, collect taxes, or use it as collateral for loans;”

Once you’ve lost your land in battle the new owner can now sell your land back to you for only triple it’s current value. Oh you can’t afford that? Well maybe they will rent it back to you and collect taxes from you instead. Or they could immediately use your land as collateral for a loan that they will default on. There is a lot of versatility here.

“Land parcels can be acquired in primary markets through an auction, or in secondary markets, where landowners can sell their land parcels in exchange for ATLAS.”

If I acquire land through auction what is the purpose of exploration? Which zone(s) have this auction structure? When do the auctions start?

So there we go. I imagine there will be a few questions regarding land at Town Hall 18. See you all there!

To join us or learn more about us you can visit our discord here:

The Club Discord

5 Likes

Appreciate the “translation”, well done! :+1:

3 Likes